Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Avoiding the toast

The other day, I was with some friends at Waffle House. It's possibly not the greatest restaurant for healthy eating, but hey, if you live in the South, sometimes you're gonna find yourself at Waffle House. What can I say?

I wanted one egg scrambled with cheese, and some grits, no toast. Sounds simple right? There was a breakfast plate with the egg and grits but it came with toast and bacon and cost more than I wanted to pay. (Yes, I'm occasionally even too cheap for Waffle House. I admit it.)

You could also get the grits as a side item and buy the egg with cheese separately, except that it also came with toast if you ordered it that way. There seemed to be no way to avoid the dang toast.

After talking about my non-desire for toast (which you wouldn't think would be THAT strange a request) with the waitress a couple of times, I thought we had figured out how I could just get both the egg and the grits as side items with nothing else. Ah, problem solved. Or not.

When my plate arrived, there in the middle, smack dab between the egg and the grits, were two pieces of White Bread Toast.

I just shook my head in resignation and said to the waitress, "There's just no escaping the toast, is there?"

Without a word, she swooped in, scooped up the toast in her hand, and in one swift motion, threw it directly into the trashcan.

Problem solved. No toast for me. LOL

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Zan. Thanks for the inspiration. Oops, I mean thinspiration. I am getting serious about weight loss as well. My motivation is to avoid the drugs my Doc wants me on to counteract the last 40 years of bad eating behavior. I will be checking in from time to time, while eating my homemade whole wheat toast! -- Janie

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a scene out of Five Easy Pieces. You didn't tell the waitress to hold the toast between her knees, did you?