Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New Year's Resolution / Weigh-in

Last year, one of my New Year's Resolutions was to lose 10 pounds and get down to 125. I was hovering around 135 at the time with fluctuations of about 3 pounds up or down, and I had been stuck there for over a year.

I know that 10 pounds doesn't sound like much to drop in a whole year, but believe me, it's been a very hard 10 pounds to lose. Much harder than the first 50, even.

It seems as though 135-ish was a sort of set point for me; once I got there my body found it easy to stay there. That's great as far as not gaining back, but not so great as far as losing more.

Today I had a check-up at the doctor's and they weighed me. I must confess that I had a lot of "fat fear" going in, since right after the New Year's holiday (not to mention shortly after Thanksgiving and Christmas) is not usually the best time to face the scale! Anyway, I weighed in at 126 3/4 so I *just* missed my goal.

This year, my resolution is to get down to 115. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have to lose 11 3/4 pounds to get there instead of only the 10 I had hoped to have left to go.

When I told my doctor that I had just missed my resolution goal, he jokingly told me that his scale is usually a couple of pounds off. (Yeah, that's the ticket! Thanks, Doc!) Anyway, I usually weigh myself on the scale at the gym at work so I'll double check it there later. Who knows? Maybe I'll have an update for the blog later if I get a better verdict from the gym scale.

*******Edited to add update: I did weigh at the gym, on two different scales there, and they both said that I was at 124 1/4. So if I choose believe the gym, I did achieve last year's New Year's Resolution. I choose to believe!

No comments: