Friday, January 4, 2008

The Fountain of Youth

Is slimness the fountain of youth? Well, no...although there are studies showing that thinner people live longer on average and being thin does make it less likely that we'll get some diseases, like diabetes.

Actually, the youth effect that I'm thinking of is more cosmetic -- and involves just a little hocus-pocus.

Last night, I went out with some friends from work, all younger than me (by a couple of decades!). One of them, Crystal, has been thinspiration for me. She is about my height but with a slimmer, more athletic build.

I was surprised -- shocked -- floored -- to find out that she actually weighs a little more than me. (Believe me, it's distributed differently; more on that in another post.)

She, on the other hand, was surprised to find out how old I am. "I thought you were closer to our age," she said. She went on to comment that I weigh less than most people my age; that I'm thin "for your age."

I've heard this before. We live in a society where it's considered normal to gain weight with age. Studies show that it's typical to gain a pound of fat and lose a half pound of muscle every year from your 30's on. This is mostly because of being less active and eating more, but also because metabolism slows and hormones change.

So when people see a thin(ish!) middle-aged person, they are very likely to assume that you are younger than you are. It's all a matter of perception, that 'hocus-pocus' I mentioned earlier.
Hey, I'll take that!

No comments: